Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Giving Goats



For the MFW goat lessons we read several books, but two go nicely together. They are:
Beatrice's Goat by Page McBrier
Give a Goat by Jan West Schrock

Beatrice's Goat brought tears to my eyes. It is a story of how out of out abundant blessings, we can give a gift that will have a great change in the life of someone less fortunate. Give a Goat is about a classroom whose teacher read them Beatrice's Goat. The book inspired the class to raise money to buy a goat for someone like Beatrice.

I wish I would have thought of this early, but it would be a wonderful experience to read these books as a family and to set a goal to buy a goat for another family. We could set up a little glass jar with a goat picture on it to save money for the goat.

Give a Goat mentions how to go about the process, but I think I would prefer to give the goat through a Christian organization, like World Vision. As of yet, I have not looked into World Vision very much. I am not sure how much of the money goes to directly help other people. However, I assume that when you donate to buy a goat, that someone actually gets a goat, though I want to make sure that is absolutely true.

Does anyone know of any other Christian organizations that would be good for this? Or know more about World Vision?


No comments:

Post a Comment