Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Essentials


All of life comes down
To just one thing
And that's to know You oh Jesus

And make You known

"One Thing" by Charlie Hall


It's a new year; a fresh start on life, a fresh start in all my roles: of being a Christ-follower, a
woman, a wife, a mother, an educator, a pastor, a church planter. With each new year, however, I continue to realize the truth of the above lyrics, words that I've known (and hummed) for over 10 years.

It's all about Jesus. My single priority in life, the foundation in all the roles I fulfill, in all the hats I wear, must be about Him and Him alone. There are always "good things" that I can focus on, there are always pleasant distractions that life has to offer, but if my heart is truly His, then all is for His glory. Each role I've been called to will call me to know Him more intimately, each relationship I'm part of will challenge me to constantly point to Him.

And so I'm challenged...and humbled. How can I know the One who sang the earth into being and yet walked (and skipped, and jumped) upon the earth as a little boy, not so different than my own little boy? How can I deepen my walk with the One who I can't wait to spend eternity with; and how can I know Him better this side of eternity? And how can I become a woman, a wife, a mom, a pastor, a homeschool teacher, who makes Jesus known in all the roles that He has called me to? What needs to drop away in my life, that I can focus on the essential? When I'm knee high in dirty dishes, when I'm building lego towers, when I'm sharing coffee with a friend, how can I bring it all back to this "One Thing"?


All of life comes down
To just one thing

And that's to know You oh Jesus

And make You known

3 comments:

  1. Hi Hope! Great post! Post more. :)
    Love,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! A Hope post. Thank you for reminding us of the most imporant thing: Jesus!

    ReplyDelete