Thursday, September 15, 2011

Rachel's Hope


"The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord." Glad you no longer suffer friend, glad there is no more pain. Thankful for your faith in death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, that through this you have everlasting life. Sorrow for your family, your husband, you boys, your circle of friends and of course, myself, because we will all miss you terribly, dear Rachel. You have left your mark on all of us, we will never feel far from you, and by God's grace, we will join you one day.


You have made me laugh so hard. Our moms nights out will not be the same with out you, but your presence will be in our memories we shared with you.  When I praise God in church, I will feel the joy of you praising God face to face.  



One of the best gifts we get during our lifetime is a good friend.  A person who thinks like you, has the same interests, one who splits your sides with laughter, someone you can talk hours to and who accepts you as you are, period.  While I have not known her for a long time, Rachel was that kind of friend.  It is hard to let someone go, but it is much harder to know your friend is suffering so much.  Now my friend is home in heaven, and she suffers no more.    

Rachel fought a hard battle with cancer, with much suffering and pain.  She never gave up hope or her faith in God. The cancer won over her life, but Jesus won victory over her death.  He defeated death on the cross when He died for our sins.  I am not really sure what makes me cry more, the loss of my friend or the beauty of what God has done for us - through his own suffering, he redeemed us, forgave us, and on his Believers he has bestowed everlasting life with Him.  There is a remarkable beauty in the  gathering of believers, in different places, but at all at once, hearts turned toward God. 


Her sister started this blog about the special diet they used for Rachel and to update us all about how Rachel was doing.  It is a beautiful record of hope, hardship, and a family's love for one another.


Here is Rachel giving her testimony, it is a really good one, I hope you watch it.  She truly is a beautiful person inside and out. Thanks be to God for the work done in Rachel's life, for God sharing her with us, and using her for His glory.   

4 comments:

  1. Karen,

    First, that is a beautiful pictures. What an amazing group of women.

    My heart breaks for all those close to Rachel. I have cried many teach for Rachel, for her family, and for her close friends. I did not know her well, but she certainly lived an amazing life that touched so many. She was a beautiful person, inside and out. She served with such grace, such energy, such beauty, and such love. She will be missed even by those of us who knew her only as an acquaintance.

    May God Bless all those grieving her loss, and may he continue to use her life as a witness to His great love and mercy.

    I know you are not Catholic, but today is the Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows--how fitting! I will be saying many special prayers for you, and for all those sorrowful and grieving for Rachel. "Blessed are they who morn, for they shall be comforted."

    Love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My apologies, meant to write "tears" not teach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is fitting. Thank you so much for your words, they bring comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend, Karen. I just watched her beautiful testimony. Her faith is so encouraging.

    Love,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete